Thursday, December 10, 2009

Easy Peasy Veggie-neasy Part Three: The "I Am Unmotivated" Recipe

"American consumers have no problem with carcinogens, but they will not purchase any product, including floor wax, that has fat in it."
- Dave Barry

There was about a month after I graduated from culinary school that I was totally unmotivated to cook. I think I went through my own mini cooking dark ages. So, instead of being super creative and coming up with my own magic in the kitchen, I started to rip off dishes I had in restaurants. There was one dish in particular that I feel I did a particularly good job jocking their style :)

Thank you Cafe Gratitude for giving me the inspiration it took to not be creative at all. Now I will share my ripped-off easy peasy healthy recipe with you!

"I Am Unmotivated" or Kale & Quinoa Pilaf with Garlic-Tahini Sauce
Cook Time: 25 minutes

Garnish (Optional):
3/4 cup Almonds
3 Tablespoons Tamari

Pilaf:
1 Tablespoon Olive or Coconut Oil (preferrable Coconut because it is better to saute with, but Olive will do in a pinch)
1 onion, chopped
1 cup Quinoa
1 cup Veggie Stock or Water
3 cups kale, stems removed and roughly chopped

Sauce:
3 Tablespoons Tahini (You should be able to find this in any Whole Foods or middle eastern grocery by the nut butters)
1 clove Garlic, minced
2 teaspoons Tamari (soy sauce)
1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
Salt to taste

1. (Optional) Heat a sautee pan to med-high and add almonds. Constantly stir almonds until slightly toasted. Turn heat up to high, add tamari, and stir until tamari is completely evaporated. Set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a sauce pan over medium-low until water slightly sizzles when dripped into the pan. Toss in onions and saute for 5 minutes (Or longer if you are feeling extra special motivated).
3. Add Quinoa and stock and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to a simmer, cover, and cook for 18 minutes.
4. Add Kale on top of the quinoa and cover. Cook for 2 minutes until kale is bright green and the quinoa is chewy, but not mushy.
5. Meanwhile, throw all of the sauce ingredients into a blender, food processor, or bowl and mix until combined. Taste, and add salt if necessary (Don't worry if the sauce is a bit salty because the quinoa will balance the flavor out. You want your sauce to be strong)
6. Fluff Quinoa and Kale, drizzle with sauce, garnish with almonds, and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment