Saturday, November 28, 2009

Battle Raps, Treaties, and MJ...oh my!

"The Union of Concerned Scientists says the Bush administration manipulates and suppresses science. The administration points out that the Union of Bought and Paid for Scientists disagrees."
- Fark.com

There has been all kinds of hullabaloo in and around the blogosphere about COP15. I have received no less that 5 emails, all from well meaning friends and newsletters trying to let me know what the problem is and what I should do. Not to say that I don't want to be aware...this stuff is totally my bag!!

An integral part of my holistic health is how we fit into the big picture...systems, networks, technology, government, and the natural environment (The Lower Right Quadrant for all you Wilber-ites out there).

How do we fit into the natural environment? What does that even mean?! Most of us put our cans and paper products into the blue bin, turn off our water whilst brushing our teeth, and do a number of other things to help save mother earth. Personally, anytime I think of saving the earth, I flash back to singing Michael Jackson's "We Are The World" in my grade school gym....complete with hand movements and a hand-holding sing-along at the end...oh yeah...(p.s. what is with Bruce Sprinsteen's face???!!!)


Well, to go back to the big question: What is the problem and what should I do?! COP15 is the 15th United Nations Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen. (No wonder they say COP15...what a moutful!) Basically, it is the annual conference about the treaty signed over a decade ago intended to reduce global warming and combat the effects of climate change. Ever heard of the Kyoto Protocol? (Come on, Social Studies!) We're talking a legally-binding international agreement to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

As can be expected, there has been some controversy about COP15 including whether or not global warming actually exists (what?!) and how the economies of the big countries will be affected by stricter regulation, among other things.

Now, we should talk about what to do...you're out of luck because I'm not going to give you an answer. Pretty much because I don't HAVE an answer. :) HOWEVER, I can say one thing...inform yourself. This stuff may seem way out there, but it does affect you. Don't worry, I have something for you. Instead of a recipe, I'm leaving you with something you can thank me for later ;)...oh yes, its a battle rap...with Al Gore...WHAT?!?!



No comments:

Post a Comment